Un bleuet loin du fjord

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Toujours dehors.

(I know, I am not getting readers by doing this, but the English version comes second, like most of the time, I'm too lazy to try a two columns blog like brem used to have)

Une semaine après avoir été évincé de mon bureau, les peintres n'ont toujours pas fini de mettre du bleu sur les murs... Étant encore privé d'un terminal (et d'une imprimante), je voulais m'installer un VPN (Virtual Private Network, si je ne m'abuse) ou quelque chose du genre pour avoir accès aux revues et journaux scientifiques par le réseau de l'université. J'avais déjà envoyé un courriel à la personne qui s'occupe du réseau de la faculté de math la semaine dernière à ce sujet, mais je n'ai eu aucune réponse.

Mon superviseur m'a expliqué que c'est parce que il n'y a pas assez de monde qui s'occupe des nombreux réseaux informatiques et qu'ils sont inondés de courriels en tout genre, alors il vaut mieux aller directement parler à la personne qui s'occupe supposément de tout ça. Ce que je fis. Sauf que la madame à son bureau n'est pas très conviviale et me dit de voir l'autre zozon du bureau en face, qui est occupé à dire à une étudiante que son portable est tellement compromis par des virus qu'il lui faudra probablement réinstaller Windows (ainsi qu'un nouvel anti-virus et d'autres logiciels de protection comme Spybot, Adaware, etc). Quinze minutes plus tard, je demande si j'ai besoin de compte pour un VPN (parce qu'il faut faire des pirouettes pour chaque serveur auquel on veut avoir accès), il explique que faut simplement utiliser le proxy sur le site la bibliothèque, mais pour ça il faut utiliser le numéro sur la Watcard (leur espèce de carte étudiant autrement facultative). Donc je suis allé ensuite obtenir ce morceau de plastique avec ma photo dessus, mais maintenant il me faudra activer le code-barres à la bibliothèque (endroit que je n'ai point encore visité, parce que c'est tellement plus simple d'aller sur JSTOR ou MathSciNet pour trouver des articles)... Je pense que je vais tout simplement installer le VPN de McGill en Windows en attendant, je l'ai mis en Linux mais j'ai tenté de m'en servir à UW, et ça n'a pas marché. Je ne suis pas sûr si c'est à cause de la connexion sans fil, qui n'est pas merveilleuse à UW.

Tout ceci me surprend beaucoup de la part de l'université qui est supposément la meilleure en informatique au Canada. Entre les réseaux Unix désuets (à interface archaïque aussi), des terminaux au lieu de véritables ordinateurs dans certains bureaux (comme le mien, qui est en rénovation depuis plus d'une semaine), des débats Mac vs PC (la faculté veut se diminuer la proportion de Mac dans le réseau, à juste titre, mais il y a plusieurs mécontents), une organisation déconnectée de nombreux réseaux sans système central mais tous gérés par une seule administration minuscule, menant à un manque total de soutien aux très nombreux utilisateurs, on se demande comment ce fait-il qu'il y ait de l'argent pour repeinturer les murs. J'étais dans le béton et le beige à McGill, ça m'aurait pas fait un pli d'être dans le beige encore ici, si j'avais accès à un système informatique qui fonctionne avec un personnel de soutien compétent. Ils ont des tonnes de programme coopératifs ici, me semble que ça devrait pas être dur d'engager quelques étudiants en info pour s'occuper des ordis bonyenne!. Ridicule...

****************

A week after being thrown out of my office, the painters are still busy putting some touches of blue on the walls... Since I've been deprived of a terminal (and consequently the department's printers, I'll need to use them soon if I want my train tickets!), I've been meaning to get a VPN installed, or something similar, in order to access journals through the University (as one can't read JASA without an account). I had already sent an email last week to the sysadmin or computer person who's in charge of those things (like getting an account to access the department's servers in the first place), but I never got a reply.

My supervisor explained to me that they are terribly understaffed in that department and that because they get gigatons (ok, gigabytes) of email, they don't bother to respond, it's better to go and talk to them in person. This is much different from what I was used to at McGill, I could just drop by the sysadmin or send him an email, and anything would be taken care of within the hour usually... So I went to the said person, who was somewhat surly pointing me out to the guy at the next desk who would know about VPN or other similar shit. That guy was busy explaining to some student that her laptop was so infected with viruses and spyware that she'd have to reinstall windows (I guess that's what keeping them so busy, clueless people with problems that arise from careless internet surfing...). Fifteen minutes later, I finally ask and he tells me it's all explained on the library website how to use the proxy thing they have, but I need the number from the barcode of my Watcard (which I never bothered getting because it was described as superfluous in my Welcoming Package, unless I wanted to get coke from the machines and I was out of coinage, but those are way overpriced anyway). So I went to get a Watcard in the basement of the Student Life Center (took a little bit of looking around before finding that little place). And now to get the barcode activated I have to go the library (wherever that is, I never went there because it's so much easier and convenient to get articles through JSTOR and MathSciNet). I think I'll just install the McGill VPN on Windows for now. I did it in Linux last week but it didn't work, though I'm not sure if it's because of the wireless connection (which can be annoying to set up in Linux, and the wireless access at UW is quite sucky).

I find all this quite surprising from a university that is supposedly the best in the country when it comes to computer science. We've got obsolete Unix networks (with archaic interface), very little Linux if any (at least in the department), terminals rather than full fledged computers in a number of offices (such as mine, though as mentioned it's still being renovated), debates over phasing out the numerous Macs in favor of PCs (which makes sense, but apparently angers a number of people), and a disorganised set of separate networks that are somehow under a central administration with a miniscule overwhelmed staff, leading to a serious (almost complete) lack of support for users. In the meantime, there is money and manpower being spent repainting the walls. I was in a concrete and beige environment at McGill, I had an ancient desk and until last summer the chair I had had lost all foam in its seat since time immemorial. I could have lived in a beige office here and wouldn't have complained, if I had access to a decent network run by a friendly support staff. They have tons of coop programs here, I don't see how hard it would be to hire enough students to take care of their freaking computer network. As it is now, it's a complete joke.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home